Within the limitations of the regulations of HUD and HACE’s Administrative Plan, a family that has been issued a voucher has the right to use a tenant-based voucher assistance to lease a unit anywhere in the United States providing that the unit is locate within a jurisdiction of a Public Housing Authority administering a tenant-based voucher program. The process by which a family obtains a voucher from one housing authority and uses it to lease a unit in the jurisdiction of another authority is known as portability.
The Housing Authority of the City of Elizabeth processes many requests made by families to port their voucher throughout the United States. HACE understands that moving is stressful and HACE will work with families in preparing them in what they need to do to make this move easier. The following are some of HACE’s helpful tips:
Before coming and/or going to going to an area, please conduct a thorough research of the job market, daycare facilities, cost of living, local rental rates, school ratings, crime in the area, etc. Question the reason for relocating. Families will come to Elizabeth but leave all of their social support systems at their previous state, and then want to port back the following year. Question whether or not you will have adequate financial means for approximately 45-60 days to support yourself and family during the transition period.
- You must have at least 45-60 days of search time on your voucher. This will allow you adequate search time to find a unit without the worry of losing your voucher. HACE will NOT add additional members to the voucher when first coming to area. If you want to add household members, please do so at the initiating housing authority.
- Payment Standards are located on our website.
- You must prepare to have housing accommodations for at least 45-60 days prior to being leased in a new unit. Once HACE receives your paperwork, you will be scheduled for an appointment within two weeks; however, there are other obstacles that must be addressed such as finding a unit that will be affordable, finding a unit which may not pass the first time, security deposit, transportation, etc.
- Once your paperwork is received, you will be scheduled for an appointment within 2 weeks unless it is for a family with a disability as a reasonable accommodation.
- Appointments are scheduled on a first come first serve basis and are NOT negotiable. The date set for the appointment is the date made due to availability. Please come to your appointment prepared with all documents necessary such as photo ID, social security cards for all household members, and birth certificates. If you do not come prepared, it will delay the voucher issuance.
- If you move into a unit prior to it passing, HACE will not be able to pay until the day it passes. You will be responsible for any rents owed to the owner.
The papers can be sent to one of the following:
ATTENTION: Portable Officer,
Housing Authority of the City of Elizabeth688 Maple Ave.Elizabeth, New Jersey 07202
If you have further questions, please contact the Section 8 office 908-965-2400.