Lease Up Process

Please submit all paperwork signed and completed to office.

If you are a new landlord, complete the Landlord Information Package paperwork to office.

Unit must pass inspection and a signed lease and HAP contract need to be provided before a Housing Assistance Payment will be made to landlord.

The Lease Up Process

When a Section 8 client is in the process of moving to a new unit, they would have been given a Housing Choice Voucher (with expiration dates and unit size), a Resident Certification form (to be used only for an inconclusive inspection) and a Request for Tenancy Approval (RFTA).

During this time, the tenant will be searching for a perspective unit. It is the responsibility of the Landlord to screen any perspective tenant.

Once a unit has been found and the landlord agrees to rent to the Section 8 tenant, the Landlord needs to complete the RFTA with signatures from both tenant and landlord.

Once this RFTA is provided to the counselor, the counselor will review it to determine if the rent is affordable for the tenant’s income (the tenant cannot pay more than 40% of their Monthly Adjusted Income).

Once the rent is affordable, the RFTA is submitted to the inspections department for an inspection.

Once the unit passes inspection, a HAP contract is signed by the landlord and a Lease is provided, the file will be processed for payment. Housing Assistance Payments checks will be issued on the 1st of every month.

No payments will be made until the unit passes inspection. Any tenant who is allowed to move in prior to a unit passing inspection will be responsible for the full rent.